RESEARCH AND EVALUATION
Our clients deserve our best
We set the following goals for our R&E endeavors:
- Learn how to disrupt poverty permanently
- Develop a gold-standard model of case management
- Build evidence of what works through a rigorous impact evaluation
- Inspire other agencies to implement our models
- Advocate for change in the structures of society
Designing programs around the client
Design thinking is critical to our research efforts. These steps are interwoven, providing feedback throughout the process that requires us to continually revisit the problem and ask more questions. This is how we refine our programs to best serve clients.
Our philosophy for designing programs is rooted in human-centered design which means we ask ourselves: How can this program be designed around a client’s needs and strengths? We build up from our understanding of the client, rather than ask the client to conform to the needs of our program.
- We Empathize in order to understand the people we are helping – what problems do they face and what solutions have they already tried. We seek to learn from their perspective.
- We Define the objective. We move beyond the obvious need and ask more questions, seeking to meaningfully impact a client’s experiences.
- We Ideate all possible solutions. We think big, suspend judgement, and go underneath the surface in order to consider multiple angles and perspectives. We ask questions and keep digging.
- We Prototype to see what the proposed solution looks like. We sketch it out, create a storyboard, think critically and change directions as needed. We get outside opinions and identify holes.
- We Test in order to determine what works and what doesn’t. We use our insights to revisit the problem and discuss new ideas.
There are three major evaluation tools that we use to eradicate poverty: implementation evaluation, formative evaluation and impact evaluation.
- Implementation Evaluation: We look at the program’s activities and outputs. This is where we assess if we are implementing the program correctly, if we have the right resources/activities.
- Formation Evaluation: We evaluate the more and less effective aspects of the program. Are the desired outcomes being achieved?
- Impact Evaluation: Looking at the bigger picture, what are the holistic results of the program? What are the outcomes?
Collaborating with Research Experts
In addition to our extensive internal evaluation, we partner with third-party researchers at the Wilson Sheehan Lab for Economic Opportunities (LEO) at the University of Notre Dame to validate our findings through Randomized Control Trials (RCTs).
RCTs are considered the gold-standard model for impact evaluation, comparing what happened to what would have happened if participants had not enrolled in the program in question. LEO provides the expertise in research that we needed and we provide the expertise in social services to inform their process.
Stay the Course – Improving Post-Secondary Education Success
Results from LEO show definitively that our community college persistence program, Stay the Course, is making a meaningful difference. When paired with a case manager, students increase their success of graduating at a rate 4x higher than those who don’t receive our services.
Padua Pilot – A Better Way to End Poverty
Five years ago, we launched our Padua Pilot – a bold research initiative to pioneer a new and improved model for long-term case management: Holistic, relationship-based, client-led, and research-backed. Findings from LEO revealed real improvements in self-sufficiency and labor market outcomes for Padua participants.
Check out our past Research Spotlights below and stay up-to-date on insights from our Research & Evaluation Team by signing up for our monthly Research Spotlights Newsletter!
The Economy Exists for the Person They say the only constant is change. And so here we all are–separate and yet together–facing challenges, calamities, opportunities, and growth. What we do with what we have control over sheds light on our value systems, our inherent...
[vc_column width="2/3"][vc_custom_heading text="Our Present is Our Presence" font_container="tag:h1|text_align:left" use_theme_fonts="yes"]As we continue to learn and evolve, we’ve been taking a look at our presence. As the holiday adage goes “our present is our...
[vc_column width="2/3"][vc_custom_heading text="Humans Over Process" font_container="tag:h1|text_align:left" use_theme_fonts="yes"] In our work, we talk a lot about human-centered design, which hinges on our ability to suspend solving, just for a moment, so we can...
Our role in the creation of a new Texas law that tackles the benefits cliff and holds the potential to fundamentally transform the way poverty is addressed statewide. What is the benefits cliff? The benefits cliff is the immediate drop off that occurs...
Subscribe to the Research Spotlight Newsletter
Hours of Operation: